Well, Nate and I were supposed to leave yesterday for a Hawaiian Cruise to commemorate the one year anniversary of his Cancer diagnosis. We had it planned for months but it never worked out, timing, babysitting, cost, etc. Now we know why! About 8-9 weeks ago he got a sinus infection and along with that a swollen gland on the right side of his neck. Well, when your dealing with Cancer you obviously don't ignore that! The family doctor said to mention it to his oncologist if it doesn't go away in 2 weeks, the Oncologist said to get it biopsied if it doesn't go away in another 2 weeks. Well, 2 days before the biopsy his whole neck on the right side swelled up and made him look like he had a goiter! There was so much pressure and pain he could hardly move his neck. We had the biopsy done on May 12th down at the Huntsman Hospital. Nate had a severe reaction after and they kept him there from 9 a.m. til 3 p.m.! I hadn't gone with him b/c I was so sick and I wouldn't want someone as sick as I was around Nate when he was going through treatment. It was supposed to be a 20 minute procedure, in and out, no doctor visit and no info til the next day. At the time they thought he was having a seizure but it wasn't. Anyhow, it was so bad they gave him Demerol and watched him for hours, they wouldn't let him drive himself home so his mom and his brother Daniel went down to get him and the car. I felt like "Wife of the Year " that day let me tell ya. The next day I took him down for a head and neck CT scan. Then on Friday the 15th we saw the Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon at Huntsman and had a scope done. After all of the test results came back it was determined that it was most likely NOT Cancer (whew!) but a Branchial Cleft Cyst that needed to be removed. They wouldn't tell us it was 100% non-cancerous until they got inside and looked around. Surgery was set for Thursday, May 21st. We then went that day up to Laketown for the weekend (see previous post). So, last Thursday we got the kids dropped off to their various places and headed down for surgery.

Once they got inside and saw what they were actually dealing with a few things changed. He decided that it wasn't in Nates best interest to remove the cyst that day b/c it was so severely infected and inflamed that it was in muscles and nerves and just everywhere. So they cleaned it out, 7 milliliters of fluid, and closed him back up. They determined he needed to stay in the hospital for 2 nights on IV antibiotics b/c the infection was systemic and if not taken care of it could potentially kill him. Once home he would take 2 different antibiotics for 10 days in the hopes that it would be enough to kill off the infection or atleast keep it at bay enough that when they go back inside in 4-6 weeks that they can then get all of the cyst removed. Poor Nate with all of this going on had some extra fun in the middle of the night Thursday when they determined they needed to change his IV site. It took FIVE different nurses an hour and a half and SEVEN tries to get a new one in. He looked like he was attacked by a gang of angry horse flies! Poor Guy!

So, instead of a long week on a Hawaiian Cruise we spent a romantic weekend at the Huntsman Hospital. Now we atleast know why it never panned out, Heavenly Father knew we'd have other things on our minds! Thankfully this is just a speed bump, his Cancer is still in remission.
5 comments:
So glad that things don't look too serious and that the pressure is relieved for a while! Hopefully they can remove it completely for you next time! Hope you're doing better, now that you're home.....don't dream too much of the "what could've beens" with Hawaii and all! Look at the bright side....your grass will be beautiful after all this rain! :)
Crazy stuff girl! Your kids are getting so big - I hardly recognized Ethan! And since when have you worn glasses? Very Cute!! I call you when I get home :)
Had no idea and I live, what, 2 blocks away? The kids didn't even mention it!!!! Hope all is going better now! Keep me posted - by the way - love the blog!
Oh, poor Nate! You are quite a trooper to be smiling in those pictures.
I can't believe your crazy lives recently. I am glad that all is going better. I sure missed you the last time Chip and Nate got together. Someday we will see each other again.
Post a Comment