Yesterday Tiny Man and I had quite an experience together with a group of about 100 strangers at the North Shore Pool. We have been there a few times this year and he has always wanted to go off of the high dive. I have allowed this but he just has never been able to bring himself to do it. I have seen him countless times from afar wait in line, climb the ladder and walk to the end of the diving board only to turn around and climb back off unsuccessful. Well, yesterday we had the opportunity to have Nate attend the pool with us. Nate came and found me and told me that Tiny Man had wanted me to go to the big pool to watch him jump off the high dive. Thinking that he had already done it I grabbed the camera and headed over. I saw that he was already in line, we made eye contact, smiled and I waited with him for his turn. Once I saw him climbing up the stairs I positioned the camera for the big moment. I snapped off a picture of him walking on the board thinking it would go quick.
As the minutes ticked by the crowd became more and more aware of my Tiny Man's inner struggle. I was becoming increasingly concerned with how they might react to my little boy. I prayed inwardly that they would remain kind and positive towards him.
I was so grateful for the awesome experience he had just had and for the encouragement of the crowd. As he hung out around the pool a short time later I witnessed young and old come up to him and bump fists with him, high five him and tell him how awesome that was! I loved it and I know for a fact he did too! He went on to jump off the high dive EIGHT times that afternoon. It was a great day and it still brings tears to my eyes to think about it! Congratulations Tiny Man!


4 comments:
Ethan, we are so proud of you! I know all of the cousins were so grateful that you had earned them all a popcicle last night! You were very brave....Aunt Sarah still can't bring herself to do that! Nice Job Nie-nie!!
Go Ethan! You are awesome!!
Ah... sweet!
I am very proud of you Ethan!! That brought tears to my eyes as well!! I am working so hard on facing my fears and I love to see others doing it as well! Especially young ones!! What a wonderful example!!
Post a Comment