
It has been a week since Nate and I spent the day at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital, and I just realized I have yet to update you on how it went. We always call these days our "marathon" day. They are usually quite long and they do. take. all. day. We left around 8:30 am, after the two older kids were off to school, leaving the two littler ones in Grandma Hales capable hands. The drive itself is usually about an hour, give or take, depending on the traffic. We usually rush in, (Thank you to the amazing valet parking!) and hurry upstairs to get Nate's lab work done and or put in a central line for his CT scan. This day is usually filled with a variety of emotions and moments. Both of us go back and forth with moments of calm, then angst, then quiet. Usually we just enjoy being next to each other, quietly reading some random newspaper left lying around. This particular day we ended up sitting next to two "Chatty Cathy's". At the same time. It made for an interesting wait to see Dr. Agarwal. Nate got to visit with an elderly WWII veteran who was obviously missing his wife. She died over a decade ago. Lost her within 2 weeks of being diagnosed with Cancer. I sat next to a very loud talking woman, probably in her early fifties who is currently in remission from her SECOND fight with a rare form of Breast Cancer. I am sure they were both chatty because, like us, they were worried about what they MIGHT hear from their oncologist today. Yet, unlike us, they were alone.....and scared. She was alone because she said her husband deals with her Cancer in a different way then her. He drops her off and then goes and wanders around a local salvage yard. She understands that that is how he "deals". I thought two things, how sad that he doesn't feel up to being there with her. What if she gets bad news? Who will comfort her? Who will hold her hand? I also thought, that is great that they have that level of commitment and understanding in their marriage. That they know each other well enough to know and understand how each of them "deals" and they are okay with it. Just to let you know....we saw them both later and they got great news. This day is usually a different day for Nate and I, even though we are both there together and seemingly going through it together. In a way, yes, we are. In another way, no, we aren't. For Nate I am sure the day is much worse. While we are both dealing with the "What are we gonna hear today?" What will our life be like tomorrow, and the next day?" stuff, he is also slowly drinking and digesting two bottles of Barium. Sometimes this day puts my stomach into knots as it is, let alone having to drink that nasty stuff on an empty stomach while stressed. Poor guy.
While we were grateful to have been told six months ago that he looked so good they didn't need to see him for six months, we were now on the flip side of the last six months. A lot more can happen in six months time. Thankfully, we didn't worry the whole six months. In fact for me it only crossed my mind a handful of times during that time. Then you come up to about 48 hours prior to the marathon day. Those of you who have seen me this week can see the evidence on my face of what that was like. The day before, I awoke to a new cold sore......tale tell sign that i've been stressin. It was all for nothing, which I will admit I knew deep down that it would be. Dr. Agarwal gave Nate a clean bill of health. STILL IN REMISSION! Love. That. He wants to see him again May 4th for labs and a chest x-ray. Then we get to start year three of living with Cancer and he moves to a different schedule of checkups. We are told once we hit five years Nate is considered Cancer free. We are looking forward to that. Of course, he will be checked yearly for life, and I am sure I will get atleast a yearly cold sore. :) Another bright side to this particular day was that Nate and I got to have our all-time favorite, Caramelized Salmon, at The Point Restaurant in the hospital. Have you had it? It is amazing! Whenever we are in Salt Lake we talk about going there just to eat. Although, truth be told, I don't think either one of us wants to spend any time there we don't have to. As amazing and nice as the people and the facility are, no thanks.
I am so grateful for how the day went. It is another reminder that we are constantly being looked after. Cared for. Last night we got another reminder of how easily things could have gone the other way. A co-worker of Nates just found out yesterday that his wife has Breast Cancer. She starts treatment today. That is how it is living with Cancer. Life changes dramatically from day to day. We talked last night about how quickly things change when you are diagnosed. We were remembering those first whirlwind days.
Day one: Doctors Appointment. Cat Scan. Ultrasound. Blood Work.
Day Two: Appointment with Surgeon.
Day Three: Surgery
Post-op: Feeling like your living at the Huntsman Center. Waiting for the verdict, Chemo, more Surgery, or both.
And on and on and on.
2 comments:
SO glad the news is positive and that at least one thing is a bright point for you guys this year! Congrats Nate! Many Prayers have obviously been answered! Happy for you both!
I'm glad to hear it went well! I hope that continues!
Post a Comment