Christmas Morning came (very early) and went. Every year it sure seems to take me a little bit by surprise. The kids went to bed around 11 pm last night but managed to stay awake well past 1 am. They decided to sleep in Evelyn's room and we could hear them whispering and giggling for hours. It made for a late night for us. Then again just before 5 am we could hear them rousing. They claim they went downstairs to watch a movie and DID NOT set foot in the blue room to see if the Jolly Old Elf had stopped by. By 6 am they could not wait a second longer. Despite us telling them the night before that they had to wait to wake us until 7 am. So at 6:05 am we were awakened by blaring lights, giggling, jumping on the bed, and a chorus of "It's Christmas Morning! Wake Up! It is time to get UP!"
I have discovered the fastest way to get them all to cooperate for a family photo! Keep Christmas Morning presents hostage!! I made them sit on the stairs just outside the Blue room for a picture. Fastest picture ever. I didn't have to threaten or bribe for great smiles or to sit by each other or anything! I joked to Nate that our family pictures are going to be scheduled for Christmas Morning from now on!!!
From Santa Evelyn received a doll that is for hairstyling and she LOVES it!
Santa gave Ryland a Halo mega bloks set. Ryland swears up and down he is not ready to get rid of his thousands of Legos, since he so desperately wanted this mega bloks set. I tease him that he is cheating on his Star Wars Legos by playing with these. haha He swears they still hold the biggest spot in his heart.
A while back I got myself a new blanket for our bed. It is the softest thing EVER! Well, Ally and Ryland have coveted that blanket since the second they touched it. So, like a good Mom, or at least a Mom who wanted them to keep their grubby little paws off of her blanket, I got them both one. I LOVED capturing this moment when Ryland opened up his blanket. SCORE!
Santa gave Ethan a newer, nicer camera to upgrade the one he received a few years ago.
Ally received from Santa a large HOT PINK makeup kit! She was super excited! She also got a large lighted vanity mirror from us. Once the morning excitement was over she spent quite a bit of time getting acquainted with it all. Her world will never be the same again.
Evelyn asked for a 'Merican doll just a few days before Christmas. Since I had already gotten this AND wrapped it AND I knew she didn't really know what an American Doll even was I stuck with this. She was thrilled with her 'Merican doll. I am seriously wondering how long this will last. At some point she will get wise when someone else shows her their ACTUAL American Doll. In my defense, I NEVER actually said it WAS an American Doll, I just never corrected her either. (Why do they have to be so blasted expensive?)
After her Mexican Celebration of Learning we found out they were selling some of the skirts. We quickly snatched up this cute purple one for Evelyn. She is in twirly skirt heaven!!! Plus I am going to make her wear it for Halloween next year! Double Score!!
Since the snow has started to fall this winter we have discovered how trashed our current sleds were. Pathetic and mostly unsafe, gotta say. So we sprung for some new sleds for Christmas. Now all we need is some fresh new snow to test sled these puppies on. Kids are super excited!
Once the kids were all done opening up their gifts, it was our turn.
We received some wonderful art work from the kids and some yummy treats. Ally also knitted me a beautiful pink/white scarf, which is perfect with my shorter hair, my neck gets cold easy.
I gave Nate his Dad's old Chess table and set. LaVere bought it in Italy about 25 years ago. The chess pieces are from England. The table is inlaid wood and is BEAUTIFUL. The set is quite heavy and ornate. Nate was super excited. He has always wanted it if they were to ever get rid of it. They asked me last month if I was interested, I seriously had no idea if he would want it and I told them I would think it over. Not ten minutes later Nate walked into the room, headed straight for it and said, "If you ever get rid of this, I am the first to know!" I thought, SOLD!! He was VERY surprised! Thankfully he has Ryland to play with. Ryland loves to play chess and is even in the Chess Club at school. I wonder where he gets it from?
Let's just say we were all done before the first hint of light appeared outside. Ethan declared that that should be our family tradition. I told him thanks to them it already was. I honestly can't remember a year that they waited til the sun came up to wake us up. Even the year the power was out and we HAD to open our presents by FLASHLIGHT!!
We had a wonderful visit from Grandma and Grandpa Hale that morning as well. We couldn't remember how to use the self timer on the camera so Nate graciously took one for us.
We spent the day playing with new things, eating, sleeping, watching Studio C, and enjoying one another's company. In the evening Grandma and Grandpa Burke arrived for Christmas Dinner. We apparently had too much fun eating, playing games and watching a wonderful Christmas movie that they brought that we forgot to take ANY pictures with them! Two nights in a row. tsk tsk


No comments:
Post a Comment