So, this week I had a nose job.
It has not been fun.
To clarify, it wasn't a nose job like you are probably thinking.
Basically anything they could do to my nose besides changing the outer appearance is what they did.
It has not been fun.
When I was born my nose was "smooshed" to the left because I laid on my Moms pelvic bone those last few weeks. All of that smooshing wreaked havoc on the inside of my nose. Fast forward 30+ years and I was a mess.
In August I got a sinus infection. I have had one, at least yearly, for a few years. No big deal, right? Get on some meds, take care of it, move on with life. Except this one didn't want to be taken care of. By the time I had my third round of antibiotics, used for Pneumonia by the way, and it wasn't touching the infection, my Doc told me it was time for a visit to an ENT (ear nose throat).
My ENT took one look at my nose, and ordered me more meds, this time stuff used for Anthrax and the Plague and ordered me a CAT scan. So, Halloween morning I headed in to get my scan done. Two days later I headed in to talk to my ENT. I knew I was in for it when he asked me if I was comfortable and if I could see his computer screen alright.
I have no medical training and the moment I saw my scan of my nose I knew I was headed for surgery. It looked that jacked. No wonder I have always been a mouth breather, mystery solved!
So, this last Monday, the 19th of November, I went in and had a Septoplasty and a double Turbinate Reduction. I also had both sinuses roto rootered out. I had a couple of other things done while he was in there but I don't remember what he said thanks to the fog I am in from the great pain meds I am on.
So, now I am waiting til Monday to go back and get my splints removed from inside my nose. Cannot wait. I hear it isn't pleasant but that the pressure goes down significantly so, I cannot wait. The picture on the right shows you what splints look like. They are huge and sewn into the nose.
Then about the time Christmas rolls around I get to blow my nose. I think I am actually more excited about that than almost anything.
When I feel frustrated with the whole recovery process I just tell myself that once I am up and running again I will probably knock a whole minute or more off of my mile pace due to finally being able to breath correctly. That helps. Big picture, right?



No comments:
Post a Comment