Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Job Offer

I cannot believe this kid. Last summer I was telling Nate how I realized I only had 5 summers left with this boy. I was kinda panicking at that realization. They both left that week for scout camp, upon returning Nate told me that Ethan had decided on his own to turn in a job application at Camp Loll to be a CIT or Camp Counselor in Training for Summer 2013. I will admit, I was not very thrilled with the idea of him being gone even more during the summer.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Ethan received a letter inviting him to interview for the CIT position this last Friday. Nate drove him over and was able to sit outside the giant conference room where Ethan was being interviewed by 10 Camp Directors. Luckily the door was left open so Nate was able to eavesdrop very well. He said he could tell that Ethan had done a very well job with the interview. He got them laughing, he was memorable to them and was very respectful and impressive. Upon leaving the conference room the Director for Camp Loll gave Nate a discreet thumbs up while Ethan wasn't looking. They both came home on cloud nine.

They told Ethan that they would be in touch in a couple of weeks. Putting it in the backs of our minds we went back to our normal routines. That is until I went to get the mail this afternoon and saw a thick packet in the mail with Ethan's name on it from Camp Loll. I knew immediately what it was. I suddenly had a mix of emotions hit me. Excitement, pride and annoyance that they were gonna take my boy just like I feared. It took everything I had to not tear it open right then and there. I immediately called Nate. He and I decided we would wait until Nate was home from work to give it to Ethan so that we could both watch him open it. I now understand a little bit more what it will be like to wait for Ethan to open his Mission Call. Torture.  Nate arrived home before Ethan, it seemed like Scouts and Piano lessons took FOREVER tonight.
 The minute he walked through the door we pounced. The excitement hung thick in the air. He asked us if he should read it out loud, we both yelled, "YES!!"

 We all but cheered when he read "Dear Camp Loll Staff Member!" It was super fun to see his smile just grow and grow. So proud of him. Not excited to think of the time he will be gone this summer. At this point it will be around 7 1/2 weeks total. That is Camp Counselor in Training, National Jamboree back East, Order of the Arrow Scout Camp, 2 regular troop Scout Camps and Youth Conference. If things go well he will be gone the whole summer as a paid Camp Counselor the summer of 2014. I think I will cross that bridge when I have to.

At Camp Loll they call the smallest/youngest Scout Staffer the "Wee Scoot" for fun. We are already placing bets that Ethan will be this summers "Wee Scoot".
 
My two Boy Scouters.

No comments: