This year for the Fourth of July we decided that we were going to stay home and have a Hometown Holiday. We have lived in our home almost 4 years and we have never gone to our towns festivities. I think our Fourth of July plans for the next umpteen years have been planned, we had a GREAT time! So, without further ado...I present our Hometown Holiday highlights. (brace yourself it's kind of long)
Saturday, July 3rd, 2010
Saturday dawned bright and early for us, although we DID NOT attend the 7AM pancake breakfast we did make it to the 9 AM parade. Can you believe that this is the FIRST parade Nate and I have ever taken our kids to? I know, slap our wrists, we are parade slackers. We had a great time though. Ethan got to ride on the Cub Scouts float in the parade. Evelyn was content to sit on the grass drinking Capri Suns and eating one of the MANY popsicles that they threw out to us. Ryland and Ally had a great time retrieving all of the candy they could that was thrown. This parade was PERFECT, it wasn't too long, it wasn't too short, it was just right. Wait, where have I heard that before? Anyway, we heard some of the other spectators mention that they remember bringing their kids to the parade, back in the day, and it only having 4 floats! Doesn't that make you smile? Four floats, how funny. Anyway, ours was rockin with around fourteen. I know, times are changing. Let's just say at this point, I was already diggin this Hometown Holiday.

Next up was fair-like activities in the city park for the better part of the day. One of the things they do is foot races. Are you kidding me? If I had known about this we would have been here years ago! They start out with crawling babies and go all the way up to the elderly. It was so much fun to watch. I think they ran about a 50 yard dash. Nate and the three older kids all ran in it. They did great and had a ball doing it.
I am not really a competitve person, but you present me with a foot race and I get excited. I was so way bummed that I am still healing from my stress fracture, it took everything I had to not say, "Whatever" and do it anyway. Next year, next year, next year. I can't wait. Still, Evie and I made quite a cheering section for the Little Mills Kingdom. Between you and me.....I think I would have been a contender. Just saying. :)
As for rides, there wasn't much. This bad boy was a total throwback to my childhood though and each of the kids had a great time on it.
The older three kids all enjoyed riding the ponies. Having had a couple horseback riding lessons last year Ethan and Ally were antsy to take control of the reigns and get a move on it. Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen, but they still enjoyed it.
Archery was a huge hit with Ryland. But, what boy doesn't love bows and arrows? Ethan, Ally and Nate all tried their hand at it too. They all did pretty well too. They had balloons on a wall as targets but they also had these foam-like animals that the kids could shoot. They looked like they had seen better days but the kids loved it.
There was also a HUGE slip n' slide. Think of the slides they have at county fairs, then add ice cold water and mats to ride down on. I think Ryland and Ethan will save that for last next year. They froze their little tushies off the rest of the day. There was also BINGO, a sawdust scramble, "fishing" for the kids, a "wrestling" performance (that's better left unexplained), and an airplane candy drop to name a few. It was super fun.After we got home and had an afternoon nap we took the kids to see the new Karate Kid and get some pizza. Have you seen that movie? It was great. Then it was off to the Fireworks.
Ally cracks me up. Before we left the house I told the kids to get some warm clothes on. This was Ally's idea of "warm clothes". Doesn't she have a great sense of style? I told her to "strike a pose". hehe Isn't it great to be eight?
Sunday evening my Dad and Fran came over for a BBQ. We then went for a walk around the neighborhood, played some games and waited for it to get dark again. Nate surprised me on Friday and hung our flag on our house. I was so excited!
Nate did a great job with the show and enjoyed having a couple of willing helpers too. Mom on the other hand is a little nervous about letting the little helpers help. It's a constant struggle between Moms and Pyro's.
Monday, July 5th, 2010
Nate did a great job with the show and enjoyed having a couple of willing helpers too. Mom on the other hand is a little nervous about letting the little helpers help. It's a constant struggle between Moms and Pyro's.Most of Monday was spent doing yardwork. On Friday Nate and I started another yard project and had hoped to have it finished by the end of Monday. Alas, there is the age old problem of not having enough hours in the day. So, hopefully I will get to show it to you later in the week. This weekend also marked the beginning of Nate's annual waterfight with the neighbor boys, Devin and Austin. Nate took Ethan, Ally, and Ryland over in the dark of night and ambushed them while they were doing their fireworks show with their family.It was awesome. They totally nailed them. Let the games begin.
In the evening Nate's brother Daniel and his wife Jen came with their little girls Sydney and Mya for a BBQ. The kids had a great time running around together. Can you believe Sydney and Evelyn are only three weeks apart in age? There is definitely a height discrepancy going on. I hope those two are joined at the hip all of their growing up years like they are right now.
Ethan and Ryland were playing some sort of "boy game". I think Ethan is liking being older and having a younger brother to do his bidding. He wore poor Ryland out having him push that car all around the driveway. I remember hearing him say "pretend it's a lot more boyish", about his pink and purple Barbie ride. To make sure it looked more "boyish" he had his stash of waterguns placed throughout the vehicle.



1 comment:
Looks like you had a great weekend!! I love the 4th!! Nothing better!! Looking forward to the Weber fireworks with everyone! See you then!
Post a Comment