Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Little Pop

For the last two summers we have had a black wrought iron rocking chair on our porch. When we bought it we fell in love. It is big enough for two, with some interesting lines, etc. and for the last two years it has worked fine there. Well, the last few weeks that baby has been desperately trying to get me to pay attention to it. Always coaxing me in the back of my mind to give it a face lift, a POP if you will. Well, about a week ago, I sat up and took notice of the sad, dark corner of the porch I have forced it to stay. With my mind made up that it was right, it needed a change, I found myself in the paint aisle at Home Depot deliberating back and forth over color options. It took about 7 minutes but I finally landed on "Summer Squash". If you know me at all this will come as no surprise, I seem to be drawn to this color lately and am busily surrounding myself with it. It is so warm, and inviting, and cheerful. You'll see.

See in this photo that was taken at the end of May? How my cute rocker gets lost in the corner? That's terrible. I suddenly feel like Patrick Swayze saying, "Nobody sticks Baby in the corner."

With my trusty paint cans I set out to make things right, when disaster struck. Down, sick in bed all last week. Ugh. Baby gets left in the dark corner once again. Well, Tuesday, in between potty training, birthday celebrations and mowing a way too long lawn, baby got her chance. Little-Miss-Pee-Pee-Pants was down for a snooze, the other three were at the neighbors having a water fight and Nate wasn't due home for about two hours. (He was unawares to me and Baby's discussions on the subject.) So, I thought, forget the dirty house and the fact that you smell like gasoline, grass, sweat and the lingering aroma of Little-Miss-Pee-Pee-Pants latest oops, why not add spray paint to the mix. So, like a crazed woman I cleared the driveway of all kid paraphanelia, pulled out my huge piece of plastic and set up camp. I hurriedly dragged her out, scrubbed her down and got right to work. Even with the slight breeze the sun was hot and lucky for me she dried super fast. Four cans of spray paint later........

Doesn't she POP now? What a difference. It's like suddenly she is there! YAY! Here is another reminder of the Before.

So much better! I love it! Then all I had to do was clean up after myself and hope Nate liked it. It was so serendipitous. All the kids stayed asleep and or gone the entire time. I was completely done and had it cleaned up and put away before anyone was aware. It was sweet to say the least.

I then hurried to hop in the shower and lose all evidence of my secret project. This photo is a good example as to why I will never have nice looking nails. I would love to have nice looking nails but with my lifestyle, it's just not in the cards. They actually don't look too bad here, just slightly discolored. :) Usually I have several broken and snagged nails, layers of dirt from the garden caked under them and I almost always have paint on them. Ah well, whatcha gonna do?

It was worth it for ya Baby!

No comments: