Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ethan's new adVenture

Last August Nate and I looked into the local Charter school (k-9th) and decided that we would rather have our kids go there for middle school and jr. high. One problem, really long waiting list. It was partly okay though because we loved the elementary schools our kids currently were attending. I just wanted to get Ethan in before the start of 6th grade. Well, as I was checking on where we were on the list in February we became a bit disheartened that he was 50th on the list of 5th graders trying to get in. Ugh. Fifty may not sound like a lot but that is all they allow in the school per grade. This was gonna take longer than I wanted. The only way he would move up quickly in the ranks is if we were willing to move him mid-year. I knew this going in and had opted to kind of wait and see how fast he moved. So, finally we agreed we would be willing to do this. A few weeks later we got a call from the school telling us that Ethan was close to the top of the list. They had an opening and if the other families opted to not take the spot it would be his. So, we waited a few days and then finally got the call. If we chose, Ethan would start on April 6th, finishing out his 5th grade year at the Charter school. Of course we accepted. That gave us a week to get his uniform, wrap things up at Three Mile Creek and begin to say goodbye to a school that he loved. I kept telling him that this wasn't anything he wasn't already gonna do, it was just 2 months early. He has been bravely nervous during this time of transition and I am very proud of him and how he has handled it. I am also grateful that his mid-year move came so late in the year so that he could have so much time with his previous school, teachers and friends. It worked out great. The best part though is that he will start at day one next year at the Charter school. Although we love the current Elementaries that Ally and Ryland also go to we have them on the list to move to the Charter school at the beginning of next year as well. Just decided having all the kids under the same roof was a good thing. Since the Charter school doesn't provide bussing I figured it will also ease my schedule a bit with having all the kids together. I will miss the idea of the bus but not the actual bus. Drama drama drama that thing has been. I already have a love/hate relationship with the uniforms as well. I think it is a great idea to have strict guidelines and keeps the focus on the classroom and not on fashion but I gotta tell ya, after one shopping trip to start outfitting my kids, I am bored to tears. BORING. Oh well, it's only for another 13 years most likely. I can handle that, right? Just don't be surprised if my kids are in crazy outfits outside of school. We might be swinging that pendulum pretty heavily in the coming years. Although it is Ethan starting us out on this adVenture it really is the whole family going through this change. Nate and I feel good about it, but only time will tell if we made the right choice for our kiddos. Wish us luck. I decided to do a little recap of Ethan's teachers that he has had since we moved into our new home. It's been almost 4 years, should I still call it new? Whatever. Also, we would like to introduce his new teacher at the charter school as well. Sorry if this post bores you to tears, but this blogs main purpose IS to chronicle our family's adVenture so here goes.

Ethan's first teacher at Three Mile Creek was Ms. Abbott, who went on to become Mrs. Acuff. We loved her. She was so perfect for him that year. She has since retired and substitutes occasionally. When Ethan told her he was leaving the school he asked her to come back before he left so that he could get a picture with her. Sweetheart that she is she came back the day of the Spring Parties to get a photo with Ethan.

Ethan's all-time favorite teacher that he has ever had was Mrs. Yates in 3rd grade. He prayed he would get her again in 4th grade when she changed from 3rd to 4th. When he was moving to 5th grade he hoped and prayed he would get to have her as his teacher again since she moved from 4th to 5th grade that year as well. From what I could see, Mrs. Yates creates a family with her classes. To this day Ethan can hardly talk about her without getting a little choked up. I think it also has to do with the fact that she was his teacher when Nate was diagnosed with Cancer. She was so great with him, and helped him during those last days of the school year when our family was going through so much. He never got his wish to have her as his teacher again but he ended up with some pretty great teachers those years as well.

Ethan really enjoyed having Miss T (Thompson) for his 4th grade teacher. He will always remember her love of all things Goofy.

His teacher this year for 5th grade was Mrs. Pedersen.

Ethan's class on his last day at Three Mile Creek.

Ethan this morning all ready to go in his new uniform. Didn't even seem nervous, but I bet he was just a little.

Ethan and his new teacher Mr. Hart. This will be the first time that Ethan has had a male teacher. Should be fun for him to experience so many new things in the coming months.

I am sure that this new adVenture of Ethan's will be full of great teachers as well.
Just a little side note. I thought it was so sweet that Ethan and Ally were so troubled with the fact that they would no longer be going to the same school. I gently explained to them that this 2 month seperation is much shorter than if we sent them to the local public schools. Then they wouldn't be together again until she was a Sophomore and he a Senior. I think that helped. I love that they are buddies and watch out for each other. Sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My children have gone to a charter school here for the last 3 years. I don't think there is a perfect school out there. It has been nice to see the progress and have options in their schooling. Good luck on your new adVenture!! P.S. Uniforms may be boring but it really cuts down on morning drama of what to wear.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at your blog and read this and wanted to tell you that your Ethan is in my newphew Drew's class at school. My sister said that Drew talks about him a lot and really likes him. Drew will not be going to Venture anymore after this year so if they stay friends maybe I'll have to bring him with me to the summer get together so they can play. He told my sister one of his not so great friends "humiliated" him in front of his new friend Ethan at school and he was so embarrassed. :)
Dawn